Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Pantry Project

Anyone who knows me well, knows that I love dishes. It used to be bowls and serving pieces but then I spotted those small after dinner drink glasses and fell in love. Now I'm finding that I'm drawn to pretty little dessert plates.
To make room for this love of mine, I needed to expand my pantry. We have a wonderful little pantry off the dining room. It has a screen door and a big window. But alas...there was no more room...so we made a guest room closet into a pantry for my dishes...take a look!
This is the mess my very full pantry was in

I'm rather embarrassed
 
Need I say more?
 
So I pulled everything out and cleaned the floor
 
This is what my dining room looked like just from the items on the floor!
 
We spray painted an inexpensive metal shelf
 
And I filled a large basket with napkins
 
and paper plates and other fun goodies too!
 
I loaded up the shelves...I love white!
 
There was remnants of old wallpaper on the walls so I painted around it
There isn't much of this old house that's been preserved
 
I threw a piece of muslin on the baskets to cover the chaos...
 
And tucked them in
 
Aren't these lovely?
 
I love stacks of dishes...that little dish in front is fun and unusual
 
I love color!

Vintage
 
And all the dishes lived happily ever after in the pretty pantry...not!
 
Leftovers...oh my!
 
So we worked on more shelves
 
While mean roo stalked me...look very hard...you might have to squint to see him
 
Cleaned out this yucky old closet
 
Then we painted...I had some help
 
These little cupboards fit right in
   
with lots of room for goodies
 
Can I possibly fill this up? I don't think that will be a problem
 
I like shiny things...is that so wrong?
 
I love the memories that many of these dishes bring

Jar of fun!!
 
And a place to keep my waffle and panini makers!
 
Happy vintage aprons...I love the poodles
 
The view from outside this hidden treasure!
 
I didn't really know where my love of dishes came from until we cleaned out my Mothers home this past year. I found so many plates, bowls and glasses that were special to her and then I didn't wonder any longer.
 
And for that, I am thankful
 
See you soon!

7 comments:

  1. I love what you did with your dishes! It is so neat and pretty. You have a real talent, Nan. Blessings! Sinea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed seeing all of your pretty dishes and all the reorganization. I love dishes, too, but not having the room for them, I wound up purging. Wish that I hadn't!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I found your blog via "The Inspired Room". I love your pantry project. Isn't it the best feeling when you walk into a space and everything is organized? By the way, I live in an old house too. If you some time, stop by my blog and see my old house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job! I have a love for dishes, as well. Your collection is awesome, and the new storage area is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I love all your dishes! How fun to set tablescapes with all of those:) I am following, and can't wait to see more about your lovely home.

    Stop on over for a visit sometime:)
    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do so love the idea of metal rack that you have painted. I have such a rack, so out comes the white paint this weekend. I now have a home for dishes I use only on occasion. They are on display now instead of a carboard box in the garage.
    Thanks Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa...how wonderful that you will be able to enjoy your dishes on display...there is nothing like the sight of dishes that you love...Enjoy! Nan

      Delete