Saturday, November 10, 2012

Soft Ginger Cookies

Today I made one of my favorite cookies. I don't know where the original recipe came from...I found it years ago. I had it in my recipe box for a long time and when I finally pulled it out and made them, I couldn't believe I had waited so long. They are a perfect cookie....crunchy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. I hope you enjoy them as much as my family does. The Farmer will be very happy to see these in the cookie jar...Enjoy!

Crunchy, chewy and oh so good
Ready to roll!
Gather and measure your ingredients first
Ginger, cinnamon and cloves...
All of the ingredients together...I have sprayed the measuring cup with nonstick cooking spray so the molasses won't stick
Line the cookie sheets with parchment so you don't have to wash them!
Cream the butter...room temperature please!
Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy
Add one egg and the molasses - the egg should be at room temp also
Look...it didn't stick!
Beat well....what a wonderful color!
Add the spices to the flour and combine
Add half of the flour and mix slowly until combined or you will have flour all over yourself...take my word for it!
After adding the rest of the flour, this is how the batter should look...make sure you stir down to the bottom with a wooden spoon before you roll the cookies...you have to get all of the buttery goodness well combined!
Roll out into a ball around 1-1/4" - 1-1/2"
Place in a small bowl with some sugar
And roll it around until it is covered
Onto the cookie sheet they go
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 8 - 10 minutes
Cool on a rack
Crunchy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside...so yummy!
After they have cooled, into the cookie jar they go...they won't last long!

Here is the recipe. Let me know how you like them...I love feedback!

Soft Ginger Cookies
Preheat oven to 350

2-1/4 c all purpose flour                                       3/4 c butter softened
1t baking soda                                                    1 c granulated sugar
1/4t salt                                                              1 egg room temp
2t ground ginger                                                 1/4 c molasses
3/4t cinnamon                                                    3T plus sugar for rolling
1/2t cloves

Combine flour and spices and set aside. In mixer with paddle attachment or large bowl, beat butter for 30 seconds. Add 1 c of sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add egg and molasses and beat well. Add half of the flour mixture and slowly mix until combined. Add remaining flour, making sure all is combined. Shape into 1" - 1-1/2" balls and roll in sugar. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 8 - 10 minutes or until lightly browned and puffed. Let cool on cookie sheet for a couple of minutes and transfer to wire rack to cool. Store in a closed container. Makes 3 - 4 dozen. **To keep them soft, add a few pieces of broken up bread to the container with the cookies!

4 comments:

  1. I am loving me some ginger cookies! These look wonderful...I may try these today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I don't know why I've never tried ginger cookies before, but now I'm craving some. :) Thanks so much for linking up to the heirloom holiday recipe party today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh heavens they look goooood! Is that a cute little apron I see in the background?!? cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing ability has inspired me.

    ReplyDelete